These crispy air fryer sweet potato fries cooked from frozen are a game-changer! Ready in 15 minutes or less, they are perfect to enjoy with your favorite dipping sauces, salads, or main dishes! Indeed, having restaurant-quality, crispy outside and fluffy inside fries made right in your kitchen has never been easier!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
air fryer frozen sweet potato fries
Before we dive into the recipe, let's take a moment to appreciate the main ingredient: sweet potatoes. Not only are they rich in flavor, but they are also packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. You can read more about the health benefits of sweet potatoes, here. Other reasons you will love this recipe include:-
- Quick and Convenient: the whole process, from prep to plate, takes about 15 minutes plus, there is also no need to thaw.
- Crispy and Delicious: the frozen sweet potato fries turn out perfectly crispy on the outside while staying soft and tender on the inside.
- Healthy – air fryer potato fries are healthier compared to deep-fried ones as you barely need oil to make them.
- Cost efficient – frozen sweet potato fries are usually cost-effective, making them a great meal option for those on a tight budget.
This segment is a summary of the ingredients you will need to make this recipe as well as possible substitutions, if any. You will find the detailed ingredient list in the recipe card provided below.
- Frozen sweet potatoes – feel free to use your favorite brands; from McCain to Alexia, anything works!
- Vegetable cooking oil (optional) – just like with my air fryer frozen chips, I like to mist the fries with some cooking oil for some shine, but this is totally optional. You can also season them with some sea salt, but this is also optional.
how to make
This is a summary of how to cook frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer. You will find the detailed instructions in the recipe card below.
- Preheat your air fryer at 360°F (180°C). Preheating the air fryer ensures the fries come out lovely and crisp!
- Without overcrowding, arrange the frozen sweet potato fries in a single layer in your air fryer basket. For crispy sweet potato fries, do not stack them on top of each other!
- Mist the fries with some cooking oil (optional), then air fry.
- Shake you air fryer basket about two thirds of the way through the cooking time. Increase the time in 2-minute increments if you prefer them crispier.
- Once cooked, transfer the sweet potato fries to a plate and serve with some aioli sauce, ketchup, or as preferred.
Related recipes: For more air fryer frozen food recipes, make our air fryer frozen hamburgers , air fryer frozen chips (French fries), air fryer frozen garlic bread, and air fryer frozen chicken tenders, next!
air fryer frozen sweet potato fries time and temperature
For optimal results, air fry your frozen sweet potato fries in a preheated air fryer at a temperature of 360°F (180°C) for 15-18 minutes. However, the time and temperature may vary depending on your specific air fryer model, and the size of the frozen fries you're cooking.
Depending on the size of the frozen sweet potatoes, use the following time and temperature as a guideline. Start with low cooking times and adjust as needed. Additionally, bear in mind that if you are cooking in batches, subsequent batches will require a shorter time to cook.
- Small to medium-cut frozen sweet potatoes such as shoestring fries – air fry in a preheated air fryer at 360°F (180°C) for 8 - 15 minutes, making sure to flip mid-cooking.
- Large-cut frozen sweet potatoes such as wedges - air fry in a preheated air fryer at 360°F (180°C) for 15 - 18 minutes, flipping mid-cooking.
This method was tested and perfected using a Ninja Foodi multi-cooker air fryer. Every air fryer behaves differently; even two of the same model. For this reason, keep an eye on the sweet potato fries when air frying, and adjust the cooking time or the temperature that you need based on your specific air fryer! The altitude you are in as well as the age of your air fryer may also affect the results.
Whether it's a game night, casual dinner, or movie marathon, these air fried sweet potato fries are a perfect for every occasion as they can be enjoyed in so many ways. Some of the ways to enjoy them include:-
- Dipping Sauces: when it comes to sauces, just about anything goes. From classics like ketchup and mayo, you can also serve them with some spicy aioli, barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, or Tzatziki.
- Loaded Sweet Potato Fries: Take your fries to the next level by adding toppings like shredded cheese, Guacamole, sour cream, and green onions. You could even add some black beans and corn for a Southwest-inspired version.
- Pair them with proteins and a side salad: We love to pair ours with some protein dishes. Consider serving them with some air fryer chicken breast, oven-roasted or air fryer whole chicken, air-fried pork, fish, and so much more!
- Wrap or Taco Filling: Use your sweet potato fries as a filling for wraps or tacos.
- Storing: Once your sweet potato fries have cooled down, transfer them to an airtight container or a ziploc bag. They will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- Reheating: The best way to reheat your sweet potato fries is to use your oven or air fryer. Preheat your air fryer or oven to 350°F (175°C) and then heat the fries for 3-4 minutes, or until they are properly warmed through. This method helps to maintain the texture of the fries, preventing them from turning mushy.
- You can use air fryer silicon liners (affiliate link) or tin foil for an easier cleanup. You can read more on using tin foil in the air fryer here.
- For crispy sweet potato fries, make sure not to overcrowd the fries in the air fryer basket. Additionally, watch out for any ice crystals and remove them before cooking, as these can cause the fries to turn out soggy.
- Most frozen sweet potato fries come already pre-seasoned but if yours are not already seasoned, simply sprinkle some sea salt on top. For some shine, you can also mist them with some cooking oil from a spraying bottle, but this is totally optional.
frequently asked questions
While you can still make air-fried frozen sweet potato fries without preheating your air fryer, I do not recommend skipping it as preheating your air fryer can help achieve a more uniform, crispy texture.
If your sweet potato fries aren't coming out as crispy as you'd like in the air fryer, there could be several reasons why:
· Overcrowding the Basket: one of the key aspects of getting crispy fries is to ensure that hot air can circulate around each piece. If the basket is too crowded, the fries can steam rather than crisp up. Make sure you place the fries in a single layer without much overlap.
· Temperature and Time: the temperature might be too low, or you might not be cooking them long enough. For most air fryers, a higher temperature (like 360°F or 180°C in a preheated oven) is ideal for getting a crispy exterior. You should also air fry the fries longer, in short 2-minute increments, if your fries are not crispy enough.
· Size of Fries: thicker fries generally require longer to cook and become crispy, compared to thinner ones.
more air fryer recipes
Don't just stop here, try our other air fryer recipes! From our ninja air fryer baked potato recipe, air fryer green beans, to our air fryer turkey bacon, you will definitely find something you are bound to love here!
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 lb frozen sweet potato fries (approx. 450g)
- a spritz of vegetable cooking oil (optional)
- Preheat your air fryer at 360°F (180°C) for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the frozen sweet potato fries in a single layer in your air fryer basket. For crispy sweet potato fries, do not overcrowd your basket and do not stack them on top of each other!
- Mist the fries with some cooking oil (optional), then set the time on your air fryer to 14 minutes. Air fry them for 10 minutes, then shake your air fryer basket and continue cooking for the remaining time.
- Once the time is up, open the air fryer and check whether the fries are done to your preference. If not, cook further in two-minute increments until you obtain your desired level of crispiness.
- Serve the sweet potato fries with aioli sauce, ketchup, or as preferred.
- For optimal results, do not overcrowd your air fryer basket.
- Once the cooking time is over, check whether the fries are done to your preference. If not, cook further in two-minute increments until you obtain your desired level of crispiness.