Get ready to indulge in a mouthwatering delight with these ninja air fryer salt and pepper chicken wings! These chicken wings are perfectly crispy and packed with flavor, making them an irresistible treat for any occasion.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
ninja air fryer chicken wings
If you have been here before, then you probably know how much I love my air fryer. I have made lots of recipes with it and I can tell you right now that this recipe is right on top, in my list of some of the best things you can make with your air fryer.
We absolutely loved these air fryer salt and pepper chicken wings, and here are a few reasons why I believe you too, will love them as much as we did:-
- healthy - no frying which means less calories!
- flavorful, easy and quick to make.
- special-diet friendly - gluten-free (just make sure that you are using gluten-free cornstarch)!
- no need to worry about a smoking or smelly kitchen.
This is a summary of the ingredients you will need to make this recipe, as well as possible substitutions, if any. You will find the full measurements and detailed instructions in the recipe card below.
You will require a set of ingredients to marinate the chicken wings, as well as another set of ingredients to prepare the topping. Here is what you will need:-
- chicken wings - if you like you can cut the tips off. This helps the chicken wings cook more evenly, as the tips tend to cook faster.
- cornstarch (optional) - While this is optional, I highly recommend that you do not skip it as the cornstarch helps draw moisture from the chicken wings, thereby helping to keep them crispy. You can also use baking powder, in place of cornstarch.
- a few garlic cloves (minced) .
- olive oil - or your preferred choice of neutral cooking oil.
- spices - salt, white or black pepper, garlic powder, and Chinese 5 spice (optional).
- a few sliced red or green chilis and sprigs of spring onion for the topping.
how to make
- Preheat your air fryer at 380 degrees F (190 degrees C). Prepare the wings by patting them dry, then coating them in a mixture of cornstarch, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The cornstarch helps keep the chicken wings crispy.
- For maximum flavor, allow the chicken wings to marinate for at least 30 minutes; this is, however, totally optional. Arrange the wings in a single layer in the air fryer, cooking in batches if necessary.
- Air fry the chicken wings until done, flipping them halfway through, for even cooking. Use an internal read thermometer to ensure they have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
- While the wings are cooking, prepare the topping by making a spice mix comprising salt, black or white pepper, garlic powder, and Chinese 5 spice. Once cooked, toss the wings in the spice mix, transfer them to a plate, and garnish them with sliced spring onions and chilis. Let them cool for a few minutes, then serve.
ninja foodi chicken wings cook time
Cook chicken wings in the ninja foodi or using any air fryer, at 380 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) for about 24-30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Like them extra crispy? Then simply increase the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for an additional 5 minutes to get them extra crispy.
Here, you want to keep an eye on them to prevent them from drying out, especially if you are cooking small chicken wings.
With that said, I want you to note however, that the cooking times above are a guideline and will vary, depending on the size of the wings and the specific air fryer model.
For this reason, Always ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken wings reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius), which is the safe minimum internal temperature for chicken to be consumed.
You can serve your chicken wings with so many dishes! Some ways of enjoying them include:-
- With Sides: Pair your wings with sides like celery and carrot sticks for a refreshing crunch. Or simply try out our Jamaican coleslaw, air fryer sweet potato cubes, air fryer frozen chips, or German potato salad.
- Dipping Sauces: from classics like blue cheese, barbecue sauce, or ranch dressing, to something a bit different like a tangy Asian-inspired sauce.
- With a Beverage: Enjoy them with an ice-cold beer, a refreshing cocktail, or a non-alcoholic beverage like iced tea or a homemade lemonade.
- Preheating the air fryer: for an even and crispy result, ensure that your air fryer is properly preheated before air frying.
- Pat dry the wings: pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture before air frying. This helps in achieving a crispy texture.
- Cornstarch or baking powder are optional ingredients that I recommend you do not skip, as they also contribute to making the chicken wings crispy.
- To allow the chicken wings to retain their juiciness inside and enable the flavors to settle, allow the wings to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Do not overcrowd your air fryer basket to enable the heat to circulate around the wings resulting in a crispy exterior,
- Flip and rotate the wings halfway through the air frying time, to ensure even browning on both sides.
Other than making these chicken wings with salt and pepper, you can also customize this recipe as you like. Some of my favorite variations include:-
- Seasoning: change the seasoning and season the wings generously with your favorite spices and seasonings. You can go for classic options like using salt only, or get creative with flavorful rubs such as peri peri spice, Moroccan chermoula spice, or lemon pepper.
- Marinades - marinate the chicken wings using your favorite marinades! Homemade peri peri sauce, honey mustard sauce, or pili pili sauce (a spicy African sauce) are just a few examples of marinades you can use.
- Sauce coating: If desired, you can toss the air fried wings in your favorite sauce (such as buffalo, BBQ, or teriyaki) for an extra burst of flavor. Return them to the air fryer for a few minutes to let the sauce caramelize.
refrigeration and freezing
- Refrigeration - let the chicken wings cool to room temperature before refrigerating to avoid raising the overall temperature of your fridge, which can cause other foods to spoil. Once cooled, transfer them to suitable airtight containers and keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezing - similarly to freeze, first allow the chicken wings to cool, then transfer them to airtight containers. Keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. To use, simply thaw overnight in the fridge and warm them in the microwave, oven, or air fryer for about 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
more ninja air fryer recipes
Ninja Air Fryer Chicken Wings
To air fry the chicken wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings (about 900 grams)
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch (optional - see notes)
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- ½ black or white pepper (use more or less, as preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black or white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (ground garlic)
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice (optional)
- 2 red or green chilis thinly sliced (optional - to garnish)
- 2 sprigs spring onions (or scallions) thinly sliced (to garnish)
- Preheat your air fryer at 380 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Prepare the chicken wings: remove any present feathers. If they are whole, separate the flats from the drumsticks and cut off the tips. Pat the chicken dry as this helps keep them crispy. 2 pounds chicken wings
- Transfer the chicken wings to a bowl. Add the cornstarch, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss until all the chicken wings are fully coated. For maximum flavor, you want to allow the chicken wings to marinate for at least 30 minutes but this is optional. 2 tablespoon cornstarch 2 cloves garlic ½ teaspoon salt ½ black or white pepper 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Without overcrowding, arrange the chicken wings in a single layer inside your air fryer basket. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Air fry the salt and pepper chicken wings at 380 degrees F (190 degrees C), for 24-30 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C). Flip them mid-cooking. Once done, remove the chicken wings from the air fryer and transfer them to a bowl.
- Prepare the topping by combining salt, black or white pepper, garlic powder, and Chinese 5 spice in a small bowl. Add this spice mix to the bowl with the chicken wings and gently toss to combine. ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon black or white pepper ½ teaspoon garlic powder ½ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- Transfer the chicken wings to a plate, garnish them with sliced spring onions and chilis, and allow them to rest for at least 2-5 minutes. 2 red or green chilis 2 sprigs spring onions (or scallions)
- Serve these ninja air fryer salt and pepper chicken wings with some dipping sauce, a side salad, or your favorite side dishes.
- The cornstarch helps draw moisture from the chicken wings, thereby helping to keep them crispy. You can also use baking powder, in place of cornstarch.