This homemade peri peri spice is a wonderful blend that you can use to enhance the flavours of your food. It uses readily available ingredients, keeps well, and is great as a DIY gift for loved ones!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
I got the inspiration to make this recipe from my chips spice, paleo taco seasoning, and burger spice mix, all of which are pretty simple to make. I couldn't be more pleased to share yet another spice recipe with you guys!
why you will love this peri peri spice recipe
Here are a few reasons why you will love this peri peri seasoning!
- unlike store-bought spices, this spice blend uses all-natural ingredients with no preservatives!
- it is a simple way to transform your dishes!
- making your own spice blend is more budgt-friendly.
- this homemade peri peri spice stays fresh for months!
what is peri peri spice
Peri peri spice is a blend of spices and herbs that is typically used to add flavor and heat to various dishes. It has Portuguese and Southern African origins (Mozambique, to be specific), and often includes chili peppers, garlic, paprika, salt, and black pepper, among other ingredients.
Just like the peri peri sauce, its usage in the rest of the world has been popularised by the restaurant chain Nando's.
Here is a summary of the ingredients you will need to make peri peri spice, as well as possible options for substitution. See the full measurements in the recipe card provided below.
- Peppers - black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and African bird's Eye chilli powder, which you can find in most stores online. In case you have difficulties getting hold of African bird eye chilli powder, simply use red chili flakes instead.
- Spices - dried oregano, ground coriander, dried parsley, cumin, nutmeg, onion powder, tomato powder, garlic powder, and mustard powder. Leave this out if on a gluten-free or special diet, or use ground ginger instead.
- Sugar - this helps balance out the flavors, but feel free to leave it out if you are watching your sugar intake.
- Other seasoning(s) - salt.
how to make
This is a summary of how to make peri peri spice. Please find the detailed instructions in the recipe card provided below.
- Gather you ingredients.
- Add all the spices to a plate or a spice jar.
- Mix to combine then store in a suitable airtight container or spice jar.
how to use peri peri seasoning
- Dry rub: use it as a dry rub for all sorts of protein (chicken, fish, pork, lamb, and so forth). It is also great for vegetarian protein sources such as tofu. We love to sprinkle it on our ninja air fryer baked potatoes!
- Cooking rice: I think we all know how flavorful Nando's rice is! If you haven't tried it yet, then I totally recommend that you do (not sponsored). Peri peri spice is a wonderful way to transform plain rice into something amazing!
- As a marinade: combine some peri peri spice with some olive oil, and lemon juice to create a marinating paste. Rub the mixture onto chicken, fish, meat, or vegetables before grilling, baking, or roasting.
- Use it to season your stir-frys.
- Mix some peri peri spice into your dipping sauces! From mayonnaise, sour cream, yogurt to even ketchup!
- Add some peri peri seasoning to your soups, stews, and casseroles.
how much spice to use
Okay, so how much peri peri spice to use will simply depend on how spicy you like your food. I recommend starting with one teaspoon per half a kilogram (approximately 1 lbs) of chicken, fish, meat, or vegetables. This way, you can always work your way up or down, once you know what amount works well for you.
- Make this recipe your own! Adjust the amount of spiciness to suit you. Add more pepper if you like your peri peri seasoning spicier, or use less salt, as preferred.
- Store your peri peri spice in an air tight spice container, in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this peri peri spice! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook page for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Peri Peri Spice
- 1½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon African bird-eye chilli powder (or red chili flakes)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2½ tablespoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato powder
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or ground ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- Gather all the ingredients on a plate, then use a spoon to combine.
- Transfer the peri peri spice to an airtight spice container or jar, and store it in a cool, and dry place away from direct sunlight.