Transform your chips or fries with this easy homemade chips spice recipe! Made with a few ingredients that you most certainly have in your pantry and with a total preparation time of just 5 minutes, this simple DIY seasoning is definitely worth having in your kitchen!
This recipe was inspired by my best burger seasoning and my paleo and keto-friendly taco seasoning recipes, and pairs well with any type of fries, including these delicious keto celeriac chips and air fryer frozen chips. It doesn't just end with homemade chips, you can additionally use it to spice fries bought at your local fish and chips shop.
What is Chip Spice?
Chip spice is a seasoning blend comprising of ground or powdered spices and dried herbs used to season potato chips or french fries. The most basic versions of the spice normally comprise of salt, sweet or smoked paprika, curry powder, and some sweetener, such as sugar but this particular recipe omits the sugar.
Why Make Your Own Homemade French Fries Seasoning?
There is no secret that homemade seasonings are the best!! Here are a few reasons why you will love this potato chip seasoning recipe!!
- Have no preservatives - you get to know the exact ingredients going into your spice blend and can thereby avoid the preservatives that come with most store-bought seasonings.
- Use less salt - you can also control how much salt you want to go into your spice blend.
- Quick and delicious - takes just five minutes and tastes amazing!
- Make-ahead - you can easily make a double or triple batch to share with friends or family or use in other recipes.
You only need a few simple everyday ingredients, which you most likely have in your kitchen: (See the recipe card below for the full quantities).
- condiments - salt and black pepper.
- herbs - dried oregano and parsley.
- spices - cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked or sweet paprika and some curry powder (optional). While the curry powder is optional, I highly recommend it as it adds an earthy flavour and just the right amount of spicyness to the seasoning.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
You will need the following kitchen equipment:
- measuring spoons - always level these up for example, using a kitchen knife when measuring to ensure you are using the correct amounts.
- a mixing bowl or spice jars to mix as well as store the chip spice.
Here is how to make what I call the best DIY chip seasoning blend!
Combine all spices into a small mixing bowl and use a spoon or a small whisk to mix. Transfer the blend into an airtight spice jar and keep it in a cool and dry place in your kitchen.
Useful tip: you can also add all the ingredients to a spice jar that has an airtight lid then shake to combine. I like to use these spice jars with bamboo lids for my seasoning.
Use this spice blend to season your frozen chips, homemade french fries, baked potatoes, potato wedges, or sweet potato chips.
Storing and Variations
- Storage - store your spice blend in an airtight spice jar for up to 6 months in a cool and dry place. I recommend making the spice mix in small batches that you can easily use up, as opposed to one large batch. This way the chip spice will keep fresh for longer.
- Variations - make spicy chip seasoning by adding a tablespoon of chili powder or chili flakes. Other wonderful variations include using either a teaspoon of celery salt, white pepper (also adds heat) or both.
Frequently Asked Questions
This will depend on the type of chips you are making.
For deep-fried chips - peel and slice, then fry until golden brown and cooked through. Place them on paper towels and spice up with your homemade chips seasoning while still hot.
Frozen, air-fryer, and oven-baked chips - place on a parchment paper-lined baking tray or in the air fryer basket. Depending on the type of chips you are using, drizzle with some oil then season. Bake or air fryer, making sure to turn halfway through cooking. Sprinkle some of the seasonings just before serving.
You can also use this chip seasoning to spice up your burgers, grilled vegetables, or meat!
As a general rule, use one tablespoon of chips spice or french fry seasoning per 500 grams (1.11 lb) of french fries (chips) but the amount you choose to use in the end will totally depend on how spicy you like your food. Simply start with a tablespoon then add more if you prefer.
More Homemade Seasoning Recipes
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Chips Spice Recipe
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder (smoked or sweet)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- Combine all spices into a small mixing bowl and use a spoon or a small whisk to combine. You can also add all the ingredients to a spice jar that has an airtight lid, close the lid then shake to combine.2 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1 tablespoon paprika powder, 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Put the chip spice blend in a glass jar and store in a cool and dry place.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- Feel free to halve, double or even triple the portion, depending on your needs.
Let's keep the conversation going! Let me know in the comments section by leaving a ⭐rating. I love hearing from you!!