Easy homemade AIP taco seasoning, free from nightshades, added sugars, seed spice and preservatives so taco Tuesdays can continue to be fun! Plus, this seasoning is totally gluten-free!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
Sadly, much of the taco seasoning you would purchase at the shops is not AIP compliant. These normally have gluten and nightshades, such as paprika. This is a very easy taco seasoning recipe made up of just a few herbs and spices. I came up with this recipe to help a friend who's tummy cannot handle cumin. I like to serve this with AIP chicken tacos, which are also very simple to make and absolutely delicious!
ingredients you will need:-
This is a summary of the ingredients you will need to make AIP taco seasoning, as well as possible substitutions. You will find the detailed measurements, as well as the step-by-step instructions in the recipe card below.
Let me just tell it like it is, making your homemade, nightshade-free taco seasoning has never been easier! All you need is some AIP-compliant herbs and spices to make this simple recipe. I have broken down the ingredients into two categories, that is, what you will need to make the spice mix, and what you will require to make the chicken tacos as follows:-
AIP Taco Seasoning ingredients
To make this gluten-free spice mix, simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Simple, isn't it? The best part of making your own DIY and gluten-free taco spice mix? You know exactly what is going in it!
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ginger powder
- dried cilantro
- cinnamon powder
To make the AIP Chicken Tacos
- chicken breast - sliced or diced
- 2 teaspoons of the above homemade and seed spice-free taco seasoning.
- extra virgin olive oil
- cilantro (coriander) to garnish.
- optional avocado, pico de gallo or tortillas to serve.
how to make AIP taco seasoning and chicken
- So, you want to start by adding the oregano, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, ginger powder, dried cilantro, turmeric and cinnamon powder to a bowl or plate. Use a whisk or spoon to combine. You can also add the spices to a glass jar with a lid, then give it a shake to combine. I like to transfer my finished night-shade free taco spice to an airtight container, which I then store in a cool dry place. A good glass jar with a tight lid will do just fine!
- Next, add the chicken pieces to a bowl, stir in a tablespoon of the previously made taco seasoning and combine.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan in a single layer, and allow to brown for about 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken attains an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. You can add more salt at this point if you feel the chicken needs more seasoning.
- Finally, serve on tortillas, taco shells or simply make a salad!
how to store
Store this DIY taco seasoning in a cool and dry place. It will keep for up to one year. I would advise you not to keep it beyond one year since the spices start to lose their flavor when kept for too long.
more spice recipes
Hungry for more? How about trying our other spice recipes!
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
AIP Taco Seasoning
AIP Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
AIP Chicken Tacos Ingredients
- 1 pound sliced or cubed chicken breast approximately 500 grams
- 1 tablespoon aip taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- chopped cilantro (coriander)
- avocado, pico de gallo or tortillas to serve optional
AIP Taco Seasoning
- Measure oregano, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, ginger powder, dried cilantro, turmeric and cinnamon powder into an airtight jar. Close the lid and give it a good shake to mix them. Store in a cool and dry place.
AIP Chicken Tacos
- Add the chicken pieces to a bowl, stir in a tablespoon of the previously made homemade taco seasoning and combine.
- Next, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan in a single layer, and allow to brown for about 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken attains an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. You can add more salt at this point, if you feel the chicken needs more seasoning.
- Serve onto tortillas, tacos, with avocado or simply make a salad and top with pico de gallo!
- Nutritional information calculated only for the nightshade-free aip taco seasoning.
- Make this gluten-free spice mix ahead of time, to enable the flavors to come together.
- Use a teaspoon of this spice mix for every ½ pound of chicken or vegetables.
- Use more seasoning if you prefer it spicier!