Can you cook a whole chicken in the air fryer? The answer is an absolute yes! Not only does this Ninja Foodi air fryer whole chicken turn out flavorful, but it is also juicy inside, with the perfect crispy skin on the outside. Just like your favorite rotisserie chicken!!
Do you enjoy air frying as we do? Then how about trying out our air fryer frozen chicken nuggets, Ninja Foodi air fryer frozen chicken tenders, and air fryer chicken cutlets, next!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
flavorful ninja foodi whole chicken
Love rotisserie chicken? Then this ninja air fryer whole chicken recipe is just what you need! Not only is cooking chicken in the air fryer super easy, but the chicken turns out moist and delicious every time! Additionally, this is a meal-prep and family-friendly recipe. It is also suitable for those on a low-carb or keto diet.
what you will need:-
This is a summary of the ingredients you will require to make Ninja Foodi air fryer whole chicken, as well as possible options for substitution. See the full measurements in the recipe card provided below.
We want to make sure that our roast chicken is packed full of flavor, and that means we want to season it properly. The following ingredients help us achieve that:-
- To start with, you are going to require one whole chicken. Here, you want to have the chicken at room temperature, with the neck and giblets removed.
- a few cloves of garlic and some unsalted butter, to be used in making the compound butter.
- olive oil or your favorite high-smoke and neutral-smell cooking oil such as avocado oil.
- herbs - chopped fresh parsley and rosemary, and some dried oregano and thyme. If you have all fresh herbs, use these as they add the best flavor and aroma!
- low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock.
- ½ lemon, halved, as well as the juice of half of a lemon.
- seasonings - sweet or smoked paprika, lemon pepper and salt to taste.
- one head of garlic roughly peeled and cut in half horizontally through the middle crosswise·
how to make ninja foodi whole chicken
This is a summary of how to make air fryer whole roast chicken using the Ninja foodi, or any air fryer. Please find the detailed recipe with the time and temperature in the recipe card below.
- Preheat your air fryer. Clean out the chicken and pat it dry. Remove any feathers that may be present, as well as the giblets. Combine the the lemon juice, butter, garlic cloves, olive oil, chicken or vegetable stock, chopped herbs, salt, paprika and lemon pepper and rub the mixture over the chicken and under the skin. Stuff the chicken with the quartered lemon pieces and the whole garlic head and tie the legs with a kitchen string.
- Place the chicken with the breast side down inside your air fryer basket.
- Air fry, making sure to flip the chicken mid-cooking.
- Check if the chicken is done. Once done, allow the chicken to rest for at least 10-15 minutes before carving and serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute, resulting in a more tender and juicy chicken.
Useful Tip:- Use an instant read meat thermometer to determine if your chicken is cooked through. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful not to touch the bone. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
ninja foodi air fryer whole chicken cook time
Cooking at a temperature of 356°F (180°C), you will require an hour to air fryer a whole bird weighing around 2.6lbs (approximately 1.2 kgs). This time will vary, depending on the size of your bird. Below are approximate cooking times per size of chicken, cooked in a preheated air fryer.
- 2 - 4 lbs (approximately 0.9 - 1.8 kgs) chicken: approximately 30 minutes on each side at 356°F (180°C) for a total of 55-60 minutes.
- 5 lbs (approximately 2.3 kgs) chicken : 30-35 minutes on each side at 356°F (180°C) for a total of 70 minutes.
- 6.5 lbs (approximately 2.9 kgs) chicken: approximately 30 minutes on each side at 350°F (180°C) for a total of 70 - 90 minutes. Flip the chicken every 30 minutes.
Bear in mind that different air fryers cook differently so use this only as a guide, and feel free to adjust the cooking time, accordingly. Always use an internal read thermometer; it should read at least 165°F (74°C), which means the chicken is cooked through. This 2.7lbs (1.234 kgs) chicken needed 1 hour to air fry, with an additional 10 minute resting time.
When it comes to serving this Ninja Foodi whole roast chicken, the possibilities are endless! We like to enjoy ours with some air fryer roast potatoes, or ninja foodi air fryer basmati rice, and, some homemade gravy! Here are other ways to enjoy this whole roast chicken:-
- Serve it as it is, hot or cold!
- Pair it up with some air fryer garlic baguette or freshly-baked bread.
- Serve it alongside some green bean salad, pasta salad, or couscous!
- Shred it and use it to make salads like this coronation chicken salad, Waldorf chicken salad, or crispy chicken salad.
- Make homemade chicken tacos and burritos. Top this up with your favorite toppings, such as salsa, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream.
- Use the leftovers to make a chicken pie (just make sure to leave out the skin)!
- Use it to make sandwiches and wraps like this tasty Asian chicken wrap, or, simply use it to make a chicken casserole!
- Make sure to pat the chicken dry before seasoning it for roasting in the air fryer. This is because moisture on the surface of the chicken can interfere with the browning process, resulting in less crispy and less flavorful skin. Also, patting dry helps the seasoning adhere to the skin.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge at least 30 minutes before roasting. This helps the chicken cook more evenly, reduces the cooking time, and results in tender and juicy chicken. This is because the fibers in the chicken will be more relaxed and less likely to contract during cooking.
- For the best flavor, marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge and remove it 30 minutes before air frying.
more delicious chicken recipes
Make it global and try out these flavorful African chicken recipes made using simple everyday ingredients! Our East African Kuku Paka, Nigerian Jollof rice and chicken, and Kenyan grilled chicken Kuku Choma are a must-try! In addition to that, make sure to also check out the tasty chicken recipes below!
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook page for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken
- 2.7 lbs (1.234 kgs) whole chicken at room temperature, with the giblets and neck removed from the cavity
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1½ tablespoon sweet or smoked ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or a few sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or a few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped)
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (extracted from half a lemon)
- ½ of a lemon (to stuff the chicken)
- 1 head of garlic roughly peeled and cut in the middle crosswise (to stuff the chicken)
- Clean out the chicken and pat it dry. Remove any feathers that may be present, as well as the giblets. Preheat your air fryer at 350°F (180°C) for 8 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoning; combine the butter, garlic cloves, olive oil, chicken or vegetable stock, salt, paprika, lemon pepper, lemon juice, and herbs.2 tablespoon unsalted butter, 4 cloves garlic, 2-3 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, 1 teaspoon lemon pepper, 1½ tablespoon sweet or smoked ground paprika, 1 tablespoon salt, 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coat the chicken with the prepared seasonings, on the outside, as well as under the skin. Stuff the chicken with the halved lemon pieces and the whole garlic head.2.7 lbs (1.234 kgs) whole chicken, ½ of a lemon, 1 head of garlic roughly peeled and cut in the middle crosswise
- Truss the chicken legs (tie the legs with a kitchen string). Place the chicken with the breast side down inside your air fryer basket and air fry for 30 minutes, then flip.
- Coat the chicken on the other side with any remaining seasoning, and air fry for a further 30 minutes. Use an internal read thermometer to check for doneness (it should read at least 165°F or 74°C- see notes).
- Let the chicken rest for at least 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve your roast chicken with your favorite side dishes.
- The total time includes the preparation and resting time.
- Use an instant-read meat thermometer to determine if your chicken is cooked. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful not to touch the bone. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- If you have fresh herbs, use these as they add the best flavor and aroma!
This was the perfect midweek meal with a chicken I had in the fridge. Came out perfectly juicy and flavorful. Thank you!
This was the easiest chicken recipe I've ever made and I love how it turned out. The skin was nice and crispy and the meat was so flavorful and tender. 10/10!
Hey there! I cooked your Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe and it turned out perfectly juicy and crispy! My family loved it and I'll definitely be making it again. Thanks for making dinner a breeze!
I have been searching for a ninja foodie recipe everywhere! Your recipe was perfect. The chicken was succulent and delicious.
I just got a Ninja Foodi and I was super nervous to make a whole chicken. This recipe did not disappoint! It came out perfectly cooked, juicy meat and crispy skin. Delicious. Will use this recipe every single time!
I was pleasantly surprised at how juicy this chicken was! My friends and family adored it.
Marcus Avery Christon
I just discovered my new favorite chicken recipe! I loved how the flavors of citrus and fresh herbs were present, but not too overpowering. I'll be making this for the holidays now instead of plain rotisserie chicken.
I love how crispy the skin turns out in this recipe. The meat was juicy and my family really enjoyed this chicken. They couldn't believe it was made in the air fryer!
I never thought it was possible to air-fry an entire chicken, but you made me a believer. The flavors were on point and cooking was efficient and speedy!
Glad you enjoyed it.