This mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe is packed full of flavor! It only requires a handful of ingredients, is keto-friendly, needs less than 30 minutes to make from start to end, and is perfect to serve as a family meal or to guests.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
Anyone who knows me will tell you how much I love chicken! Between making these juicy curry chicken drumsticks and making these Instant Pot chicken wings made in three ways, I would say this mascarpone chicken is one of my favorite recipes!
reasons to love!
There are so many reasons why you will love this recipe, here are a few favorites:
- the perfect family meal- even the picky eaters love it! Mascarpone chicken especially pairs up well with pasta and low-carb pasta dishes. It is also very easy to make, you only need one skillet or pan to make it.
- delicious - the mascarpone cheese creates just the perfect creaminess and works well with the rest of the ingredients to give the best flavor combination!
- fridge and freezer-friendly - it can totally be made ahead of time, and stored in the fridge and freezer for later, making it perfect for meal-prep.
- diet-friendly- this recipe is totally gluten-free, sugar-free, and low-carb. At just about 4 grams net carbs per serving, it is also keto-friendly.
- chicken breasts - use good quality chicken breasts purchased from a reliable supplier.
- vegetables - mushrooms, garlic and fresh basil or dried thyme to garnish (optional).
- dairy - mascarpone cheese.
- condiments and seasoning - this recipe also calls for some olive oil or your preferred cooking oil, salt, and some lemon pepper seasoning.
- other - you will also need some chicken stock to deglaze the skillet.
how to make mascarpone chicken and mushroom
Making mascarpone chicken and mushrooms is very easy and basically involves the following steps:-
- Clean the chicken breasts, pat dry with a clean kitchen cloth and dice into bite-sized chunks. Season chicken breast with salt and lemon pepper then set aside for at least 10 minutes. In the meantime, peel and either mince or finely chop the garlic. Slice the mushrooms as desired.
- Place a medium-sized cast iron pan or skillet on the stove, add the olive oil and allow this to heat under medium heat. Next, add the chicken breast and let brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to a low and stir in the garlic. Fry until slightly browned and soft. At this point, increase the heat to a medium and add in the mushrooms.
- Add the chicken stock to deglaze then make the mascarpone sauce by carefully stirring in the mascarpone cheese. Allow the sauce to simmer, return the chicken breast to the pan and reduce the heat to a low. Cover the pan or skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, zoodles or a side dish of your choice such as pasta, for those not following a low carb diet.
This recipe pairs well with regular pasta and low-carb pasta dishes, rice, roasted or mashed potatoes (paleo), mashed cauliflower, broccoli, spiralized vegetables, or zucchini boats (as keto or low carb options).
- To allow your chicken pieces to properly brown up, make sure your skillet or pan is properly hot. Give the chicken a few minutes to cook before turning.
- Do not skip the deglazing part as it helps get all the delicious bits stuck on the pan. Deglazing basically means adding some sort of cold liquid to the pan or skillet to help remove residue stuck at the bottom.
- Add the herbs just before serving, If using. Feel free to swap the dried thyme and lemon pepper for your favourite herbs. For example, fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary pair well with chicken breast.
refrigeration and freezing
When stored properly, the cooked mascarpone chicken and mushrooms will keep fresh in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It is best to use airtight containers with properly labeled best-by dates. Zip-lock bags or cling film is also okay to use. The NHS recommends keeping your fridge at a temperature of 5 degrees celsius (about 41 degrees Fahrenheit).
more delicious chicken recipes to make!
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, pin it on Pinterest, or like on Facebook for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or our Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Mascarpone Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- 500 g chicken breast approx. 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g mascarpone cheese approx. ½ a pound
- 250 g mushrooms approx. ½ a pound
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml chicken stock (or about ½ a cup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or dried thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt - or more to taste
- Clean the chicken breasts, pat dry with a clean kitchen cloth, and dice them into bite-sized chunks.
- Season chicken breast with salt and lemon pepper then set aside for at least 10min. In the meantime, peel and either mince or chop the garlic finely using a sharp kitchen knife. Slice the mushrooms as desired.500 g chicken breast, 1 teaspoon salt - or more to taste, 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Place a medium-sized cast iron pan or skillet on the stove, add the olive oil and allow this to heat under medium heat. Next, add the chicken breast and let brown. About 4 minutes on each side should be okay. Just make sure not to stir too early as you will not get a nice golden color on the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a plate.500 g chicken breast, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Lower the heat to a low and stir in the garlic to the pan. Fry until slightly browned and soft then add the chicken stock. At this point, increase the heat to a medium and stir. Next, add in the mushrooms.3 cloves of garlic, 150 ml chicken stock, 250 g mushrooms
- To make the mascarpone sauce, carefully stir in the mascarpone cheese and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Return the chicken breast to the pan, lower the heat to a low, check again for salt, cover the pan or skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes. Once cooked, garnish with basil, thyme, or your favorite kitchen herbs (optional).250 g mascarpone cheese, 1 teaspoon fresh basil or dried thyme
- Serve this mascarpone chicken and mushrooms with cauliflower mash, zoodles, or a side dish of your choice such as pasta, for those not following a low-carb diet.
- Add the herbs just before serving, If using. Feel free to swap the dried thyme and lemon pepper for your favorite herbs. For example, fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary pair well with chicken breast.