This mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe is packed full of flavor! It only requires a handful of ingredients, is keto-friendly, needs less than 30 minutes to make from start to end, and is perfect to serve as a family meal or to guests.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
Anyone who knows me will tell you how much I love chicken! Between making these juicy curry chicken drumsticks and making these Instant Pot chicken wings made in three ways, I would say this is one of my favorite recipes!
why you will love this recipe
There are so many reasons why you will love this recipe, here are a few favorites:
- the perfect family meal- even the picky eaters love it! Mascarpone chicken especially pairs up well with pasta and low-carb pasta dishes. It is also very easy to make, you only need one skillet or pan to make it.
- creamy and delicious
- fridge and freezer-friendly.
- chicken breasts - use good quality chicken breasts purchased from a reliable supplier.
- vegetables - mushrooms, garlic and fresh basil or dried thyme to garnish (optional).
- dairy - mascarpone cheese.
- condiments and seasoning - this recipe also calls for some olive oil or your preferred cooking oil, salt, and some lemon pepper seasoning.
- other - you will also need some chicken stock to deglaze the skillet.
how to make mascarpone chicken and mushroom
Making this recipe is very easy and basically involves the following steps:-
- Pat dry chicken breasts, dice into chunks, and season with salt and lemon pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mince or finely chop the garlic and slice mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pan or skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breast, brown it, then set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to a low and stir in the garlic. Fry until slightly browned and soft. At this point, increase the heat to a medium and add in the mushrooms.
- Add the chicken stock to deglaze then make the mascarpone sauce by carefully stirring in the mascarpone cheese. Allow the sauce to simmer, return the chicken breast to the pan and reduce the heat to a low. Cover the pan or skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, zoodles or a side dish of your choice such as pasta, for those not following a low carb diet.
- To allow your chicken pieces to properly brown up, make sure your skillet or pan is properly hot. Give the chicken a few minutes to cook before turning.
- Do not skip the deglazing part as it helps get all the delicious bits stuck on the pan. Deglazing basically means adding some sort of cold liquid to the pan or skillet to help remove residue stuck at the bottom.
- Add the herbs just before serving, If using. Feel free to swap the dried thyme and lemon pepper for your favourite herbs. For example, fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary pair well with chicken breast.
refrigeration and freezing
Store your leftover chicken in labeled airtight containers in the fridge for 3-4 days or freezer for 3-4 months. The NHS recommends keeping your fridge at a temperature of 5 degrees celsius (about 41 degrees Fahrenheit).
more delicious chicken recipes to make!
Made this or any of my recipes? It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Updated on November 11, 2023: Certain parts of this recipe have been simplified to enhance clarity and readability.
Mascarpone Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- 500 g chicken breast approx. 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g mascarpone cheese approx. ½ a pound
- 250 g mushrooms approx. ½ a pound
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml chicken stock (or about ½ a cup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or dried thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt - or more to taste
- Clean the chicken breasts, pat dry with a clean kitchen cloth, and dice them into bite-sized chunks.
- Season the chicken with salt and lemon pepper; set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, finely mince or chop garlic and slice mushrooms as desired.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized cast iron pan or skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breast and brown it for about 4 minutes on each side, avoiding stirring too early to achieve a golden color. Then, remove the chicken and set it aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low, add garlic to the pan, and fry until slightly browned and soft. Then, pour in the chicken stock, raise the heat to medium, and stir. Finally, add in the mushrooms.
- To make the mascarpone sauce, mix in mascarpone cheese and simmer for 5 minutes. Return the chicken breast to the pan, reduce heat to low, adjust salt if necessary, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Optionally garnish with basil, thyme, or other herbs.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, zoodles, or a side dish of your choice such as pasta, or mashed potatoes.
- Add the herbs just before serving, If using. Feel free to swap the dried thyme and lemon pepper for your favorite herbs. For example, fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary pair well with chicken breast.