Make this refreshing, revitalizing, and delicious cucumber, mint, ginger, and lemon-infused water, which is also popularly known as flat-tummy water. This is a great drink for you to start your day with, and absolutely perfect for hot summer days and evenings!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
I love to start my day by drinking this cucumber water, on an empty stomach. Along with my non-alcoholic pina colada smoothie and my carrot orange juice, it is one of my favourite drinks to have in the morning.
why this cucumber lemon ginger water works
This flat tummy tea is so good, here is why.
- Drinking infused water comes with several health benefits and is a great way for you to increase your water intake, as it tastes great, which in turn makes you want to drink more.
- Made with cucumber, lemon, ginger, and mint, this infused water is hydrating, invigorating, soothing, and has an amazing fresh taste.
- Drinking water, infused or not, is good for you as it comes with numerous health benefits!
cucumber lemon ginger water benefits
Let us explore the health benefits of drinking ginger, lemon, mint, and cucumber water further by looking at the individual components.
- Ginger has been used for ages as a home remedy for nausea, stomach issues, and to treat inflammation. It has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a carminative and helps reduce gas and improve digestion. A large cross-sectional study from 2017 suggested that the consumption of ginger helps boost the immune system. It also has phenolic compounds which help in easing nausea. Several in vitro studies have shown that ginger and its active components inhibit the growth and spread of colorectal cancer.
- Cucumber has a high water content and is low in calories. It has potential antidiabetic, lipid-lowering, and antioxidant activity. It also has a cleansing action within the body, as it has been shown to remove accumulated pockets of waste and chemical toxins. A study on cucumbers suggests that they have anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain silica, which is good for the skin as it is anti-aging.
- Lemon - lemons and other citrus fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C, and other key minerals and vitamins such as potassium, folate, magnesium, and vitamin A. Lemons also contain polyphenols, which play a major role in protecting against chronic diseases.
- Mint has anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. It can help protect against food-borne illnesses, and has immune-boosting properties.
- Lemons and cucumbers are alkaline foods that help balance the pH level in your body and thereby help the body to function optimally.
These are just a few examples; now that we have established that ginger, lemon, and cucumber water is good for us, let us now have a look at how you can make some at home!
ingredients you will need
You will require the following ingredients to make cucumber and ginger-infused (aka flat-tummy) water:-
- 1 large cucumber.
- 1 lemon.
- a piece of ginger - about 3 cm or just over 1 inch in length.
- 3 sprigs of mint - properly cleaned under running water.
- 2 liters of water.
Related recipes: Thirsty for more tasty and refreshing drinks? Then try our Strawberry Banana Pineapple Smoothie with Almond milk, Zobo drink (Nigerian hisbiscus drink), and Keto Blueberry Smoothie!
how to make cucumber lemon ginger water
- Step 1: wash the lemon, cucumber, mint, and ginger. Peel and thinly slice the ginger. Similarly, thinly slice the cucumber and lemon.
- Step 2: add all the ingredients to a glass jug and combine.
- Step 3: serve immediately or for best results, keep it in a cool place in your kitchen such as the fridge to steep for a few hours before serving.
- Storage: make enough infused water the day before, fill it in jugs, and keep cool in the fridge to drink the following day. That way you have a constant supply to last you a while.
- Variation: as a variation, try adding your favourite fresh herbs, chia seeds, or sweeten your water using regular sugar, or sugar-free sweeteners such as stevia.
frequently asked questions
Drinking regular or lemon-cucumber-infused water helps keep you hydrated, promotes fullness, and boosts your metabolism, thereby promoting weight loss. This scientific study on lemons concludes that it is possible that polyphenols found in lemons may stimulate the liver to produce enzymes that block the absorption of dietary fats.
However, you cannot outdrink a bad diet and while drinking lemon water can indirectly help certain people lose weight, it does not beat having a well-balanced diet. In this regard, you should always speak to your nutritionist or healthcare practitioner about the best options for you.
The answer is it depends. The thing is, lemon is a fruit, which means it contains fructose and naturally, some calories. So the next question is, does it contain enough calories and sugar to break your fast? A 470ml (16-ounce) glass has 9 calories, 3 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 1 gram fiber, and 0 gram protein.
Because different people break from a fasting state differently, some people fasting for weight loss can still get away with drinking small amounts of unsweetened lemon water throughout the day. Whether you break from your fast or not by drinking lemon water will also depend on whether or not you are fasting for religious reasons. Most religious fasts call for zero-calorie consumption and if this is the case for you then it will mean you are breaking your fast.
Finally, not all types of lemon water are equal. Store-bought lemon water tends to contain sugar, which essentially translates to more calories, which means they will kick you out of a fast.
Conclusion: because of the low amount of calories, plain lemon water will most likely not kick you out of a fast. However, always speak to a nutritional health professional for the best advice regarding fasting.
more refreshing drink recipes
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made this recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐ rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to check me out and follow me on my socials Instagram and Facebook, or Pin recipes on Pinterest for later! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or my Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
Cucumber Lemon Ginger Mint Water
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1 thinly sliced piece of ginger (about 3 cm or just over 1 inch in length)
- 3 sprigs of mint (properly cleaned under running water)
- 2 liters of water
- Wash the lemon, cucumber, mint, and ginger. Peel the cucumber then thinly slice. Similarly thinly slice the lemon and ginger. Add all the ingredients to a glass pitcher then stir to combine.1 large cucumber, 1 lemon, 1 thinly sliced piece of ginger, 3 sprigs of mint, 2 liters of water
- Serve and enjoy or for best results, keep it in a cool place in your kitchen such as the fridge to steep for a few hours before serving.
- make enough infused water the day before, fill it in jugs, and keep cool in the fridge to drink the following day. That way you have a constant supply to last you a while.