This Spekulatius Likor speaks everything Christmas! It is creamy, sweet, aromatic, rich, delicious, and only requires five ingredients to make.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, at no extra cost to you.
I can't really decide whether I am a holiday person. I know I do enjoy baking cookies and eating festive food though. It is the searching for suitable gifts part of it all, that I am not entirely keen on. Luckily, this Spekulatiuslikör is my go-to recipe whenever I want to make something special for loved ones as it is only a few ingredients away, and always gets top reviews.
what is Spekulatius Likör
Spekulatius Likör (or Spekulatiuslikör) is a rich cream-based liqueur whose flavor is enhanced by the use of the spice Spekulatiusgewürz. Spekulatiusgewürz is an aromatic blend comprising several holiday seasonings such as nutmeg and cinnamon. Along with other holiday drinks such as Glühwein and Eierlikör, Spekulatiuslikör is a popular drink in Germany where it is normally enjoyed around the Christmas time. It is also one of the many items which are popularly given to friends and family as a homemade Christmas gift.
This segment explains the best ingredients for making Spekulatius Likör and possible options for substitution. For measurements, see the recipe card provided at the bottom of this page.
- Weizenkorn Schnaps (a type of German distilled alcoholic beaverage) is the traditional base liqueur, when making Spekulatius likör but seeing that it may not be readily available outside of Germany, vodka is a good substitute that I have used several times.
- Spekulatius spice - which is an aromatic spice blend that you can purchase online or easily make at home.
- You will also need some powdered sugar, heavy cream, and some Nutella (or any hazelnut cocoa spread).
uses and serving suggestions
Okay, we have now made ourselves this delicious drink but how exactly do we use it? You have asked, I will answer. Spekulatiuslikör is typically served cold, using shot glasses. You may want to adjust the serving portions, depending on how strong the liqueur you are using is.
Alternatively, use your Spekulatius Likör to make the following:-
- yule logs, brownies and cupcakes
- hot chocolate
- ice cream
- liqueuer coffee
- filled donuts
- chocolate truffles and so much more!
expert tips when making Spekulatiuslikör
- You want to use sterilized glass bottles to store your spekulatius likör. To sterilise, boil the bottles and their lids for 10 minutes, making sure both are totally submerged in water. You can also heat them up in the oven, at a temperature of 150 degrees celcius for 10 minutes.
- once done, make sure to store the drink in the fridge, as it contains cream and will go bad if left on the countertop for too long. Stored in properly sterilized glasses, Spekulatious Likör can be kept in the fridge for 4-6 weeks.
more international cuisine recipes
Try these other delicious world cuisine recipes!
- Ndengu - Kenyan green gram (mung bean curry).
- Engelsaugen - German thumbprint cookies
- Lebanese Molokhia - Jute leaves cooked with chicken
Great news, you have made it this far which means you probably made or are making this Spekulatiuslikör recipe! It would go a long way if you could leave a ⭐rating on the recipe card or comment in the comments section below.
Feel free to follow me on my social channels! Tag me @weeatatlast (formerly paleolowcarbkate) on Instagram, pin it on Pinterest, or like my Facebook for the latest updates! Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel or Newsletter for regular recipe notifications!
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon Spekulatius spice
- 4 tablespoon powdered sugar (approximately 50 g)
- 150 ml any grain brandy or spirit (in German Weizenkorn Schnaps) or vodka
- 3 tablespoon Nutella (or any hazelnut cocoa spread)
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the heavy cream without allowing it to get frothy, then set it aside. (see notes).
- In a separate bowl and using a whisk, combine the Spekulatius spice, powdered sugar, Nutella, and the grain spirit (Weizenkorn Schnaps) or vodka.2 teaspoon Spekulatius spice, 4 tablespoon powdered sugar, 150 ml any grain brandy or spirit (in German Weizenkorn Schnaps), 3 tablespoon Nutella
- Add the cream and then mix everything until well incorporated.200 ml heavy cream
- Transfer the Spekulatiuslikör to sterilized glasses or jars and serve or store in the fridge for later.
- Bear in mind that the more you whisk, the thicker your liqueur will turn out.
- Once done, make sure to store your Spekulatius Likör in sterilized glasses.
- Seeing that it contains cream, keep any leftovers in the fridge immediately, as it will go bad if left on the countertop for too long. Stored in properly sterilized glasses, Spekulatious Likör can be kept in the fridge for 4-6 weeks.